View post (Texas Custom Shop Pickups)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
06/27/2006 6:41 pm
I have played them numerous times... I myself have a set of Custom Shop '69s in my number 1 Strat. The Texas Specials are the signature pickup of Stevie Ray Vaughan... They're a basic '57/'62 stock pickup... over wound. That means that they over wound the wire to boost the output. It gives it a little bit of natural distortion and makes it growl a lot more when you boost the gain or add your own distortion. They're blues/rock pickups mostly. They do sound great and they should be versatile enough to get a Led Zep tone. You have to remember though, Page played LP's and LP's have humbuckers... and they're made of Mahogany... which is a lot more dense than alder, poplar, or ash of a Strat body. So the tones that you get from a Strat aren't going to be exact. But you can get close nonetheless. I can get just about any tone with my Custom '69s... which are a little less output than the Texas Specials... but more than the '57/'62 pickups. the '69s get a little more response in the treble zone but sound a little flatter on the bass side... I counteracted that by putting some super thick gauge GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers on there... I love the tone. I know you'll like the Texas Specials too. They're one of the most widely used pickups made Fender and they're great for everything from blues to rock.