View post (action)

View thread

rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
06/26/2006 4:46 am
Originally Posted by: mxhWhat in the world is action and is it better lower or higher?? :confused: :confused:
If the actoin is too low we get buzz... I understand that on an electric guitar a small amount of buzz is acceptable. I disagree I set my action high enough to bend 1.5 steps more or less. I also belive that the lower the action the lighter your touch has to be. A light touch takes pratice. I belive Gibson sets the les paul to have a .005 bow.... With an acoustic guitar I belive that the is no amount of acceptable buzz. Both guitars have to be played with a balance of finger pressure and pick or right hand press. to produce a solid sound. If you have not been able to get an acceptable amount of bow Maybe the strings are too light for the
neck. For me I prefer .010 for electric and .012 > .011 for acoustic. The thicker string will sound much better and stay in tune longer, also last longer. It may be harder to play but it is well worth the sound. Especially that thin tinking sound from an E string too light or a G string too light. I used to keep an old acoustic around that was always strung with strings that are too heavy for praticing purposes,building finger strenght, calis,and dexterity. I used to buy my strings in singles making my own gauge, That way I could put a heavier string on the top and keep the bass E and A string from getting too heavy. Well thats about it :)