View post (The Spanish scales)

View thread

ajweibe
ajweibe
06/20/2006 3:30 am
Originally Posted by: gennationThat's commonly referred to as the Phrygian Dominant scale. But, I've heard it called the Phrygian Major from time to time.

That's the scale my tutorial, I posted above, is about.

Awesome scale. It lives on it's own really nice but is also very powerful of Dominant 7 chords in general, especially when a Dom 7 chord is used as the turnaround for a minor progression.

Yes, it is an excellent scale. I never thought of it as being called the Phrygian Dominant scale, but I'm assuming thats derived from it's root as the V of harmonic minor.

My most practical usage for it is when there is a Dom7(b9) chord. When it comes to straight Dom7 chords, I'll stick with Mixoldyian when we're talking a straight 2-5-1 progression or blues. But when there's a dom7 chord out of the key, I use a Lydian b7 scale (speaks for itself, #4 and a b7).

Good talking with you on this gennation. I'm a third year student, 19, at Greensboro College studying under Greg Hyslop for jazz/classical guitar. I'm working on my bebop game quite a bit- so I always love talking about theory....just keeps my mind going especially on summer vacation. I'll check out your webpage. Keep in touch. [email]aweibe@gmail.com[/email]