View post (Nail biting)

View thread

pure
pure
06/09/2006 2:01 am
Biting the nails can result in the transportation of germs that are buried under the surface of the nail into the mouth. In fact, nail salons use tools that potentially affect a human in a similar way. “If they (nail tools such as files) are used on different people, these tools may spread nail fungi, staph bacteria or viruses,” warns Rick Lopes, a spokesperson for the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. In fact, over 100 bacterial skin infections in 2000 were traced to footbaths in nail salons. Thus, one can see that many pathogens have the ability to "live" inside of a nail, and because of this biting the nails can potentially cause health issues.

Nail biting also has the negative side effect of restraining the use of the hands. A compulsive nailbiter can be restricted in their ability to work (i.e. writing, typing, drawing, driving) because their hand is in their mouth.

A long-time habit of nailbiting may have detrimental effects on the substantia adamantinea of the front teeth, promoting caries in these areas.

think of nail biting as sticking your hand into a whole bunch of crap then stuffing it up your mouth

i mean, you don't know where your fingers have been and some guys don't even wash their hands and if you've been in a public place or touched a door knob or something, where other guys who didn't wash their hands touched, and sick people also touched. Don't bite your nails.

funny, while i was thinking about what to write, i started biting on my nail.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks