View post (Two questions)

View thread

Willdridge
Willdridge
08/01/2001 7:33 am
I'm beginning to get the feeling that this site's really taking off with us Brits. There's even an advert for British Gas or something!!!!
But, back to the point. I think it's important to learn what was being played when you're playing a cover, but I don't think you need to play exactly what anyone else did. Often covers are done as a sort of tribute to an artist/song/etc. The best way, usually, to pay your respects is to show them how you see things. It's a more honest performance I think.
I'm not actually sure if I'd ever learn anything note-for-note...I think I might do on certain things, but most of the time I'd just get the fondations of something and work off that. Riffs are possibly the only usual exception. Most riffs need to be kept in tack. Having said all this, there's no real right or wrong way. Just a take on things.
I think my only real exception to all this is a tribute band type situation. In that case the audience don't care what you think of the songs, they want to hear what they remember. Note-for-note.
Everything has a place...it a case of chosing what's right, when. Hmmm...another intriguing question. This forum really gets y'think, dunnit?!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.