View post (buying a new amp...)

View thread

quickfingers
quickfingers
05/26/2006 3:17 pm
i have a price range of about 300-500 bucks. guitar center has their memorial day sale and well...my amp blew out at practice so i thought it very fitting that i should really look into a bigger, better one now. unfortunately i loaned a buddy of mine 400 bucks which i wont see till mid-summer, so my bank account is looking especially measly after buying a car and whatnot. i have about 500 bucks-tops.

im leaning towards getting a stack, but i know that its more of a looks thing than an actual necesity. i want your guys' opinions on a good amp to get. im in a ska band, so i need a crisp, clean tone with some 'verb and some tremolo, but i guess pedals work just the same if i have to. if i got a stack, i could get a very basic, run of the line crate for 500 even. its nice, but im wondering if i should go for a smaller combo amp that will give me more tonal options. i was looking into some modeling amps, like the beringher style or whatnot. they seem pretty cool, and even though a combo doesnt look as hardcore as a stack while playing a venue, im willing to compromise if its a better deal. i was also looking into orange amps also, just cause theyre brittish and look sexy.

opinions, anyone? keep in mind the price range, and i want at least 2x12 speakers in these babies.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE