Being told how to play.....

Hamberg
Hamberg
07/04/2006 3:10 am
I've actually had someone try to ravamp my entire playing style, from my fretting technique to my picking style...

...kind of makes you want to quit playing when you run into assholes like that. I've been playing for 12 years. Wtf, how is some one going to tell me that I don't know how to play?
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2006 3:55 pm
The only thing worse than getting that from someone who doesn't know anything, is being told that by someone who does know what they're talking about.

I still get flack for the way I grip the neck, and the criticism is valid, but I've been playing this way since 1968, and its just too hard to unlearn it now.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
vnn2006
vnn2006
07/04/2006 8:24 pm
Back in the late 80's i wanted to be the fastest guitarist that ever lived,(Malmsteen and so on), then when i formed my own band i wanted to be the fastest and heaviest, well that was then. as i started doing shows more and more i started to notice that if i just wanted to play metal there are just a handful of clubs and thats it , not much money to be made to fund our originals, so i started to notice that the more i started to play for the audience (and not just for myself) the more my repertoire started to widen and the more money we started to make, in other words why drive in one lane in a 7 lane highway, as for your rival band telling you that your not thash enough if ain't all but heavey, i say to you hey, is he going to fill your next event or pay you for your shows. if he has no plans of managing your band, well then his advice or comments are useless, do what you want to do or play, just keep in mind the difference between playing a gig for musician(who always stand around saying they can do it better and in the mean time they dont even have a gig) and playing for non musician who are there to enjoy themselves, good luck
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2006 8:30 pm
+1

Something about paying the fiddler and calling the tune.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/04/2006 11:25 pm
Originally Posted by: speedpicker88I am the frontman and guitarist of the band Blackend. A few weeks ago, our rival band, whiplash, heard us do a cover of Blackened by Metallica. They said it was unbearably slow and said that even Metallica (whom wrote the damn song) even plays it too slow. I explain to them that metal has many differnt types, not all has to be fast. They tried saying that since we're a thrash metal band that we have to play fast. And i told them that we're also freestyle and we will play how we want. So i need some opinions, do you think it was right for these guys, who are no older than us, and from what we have heard, not trying to be cocky, are not near as good, do u think it was right for them to tell us how to play? I mean it pised us off prety well, so I want to know what you guys think, were they wrong in saying what they did?

i wonder if those dolts ever heard of "black sabbath"........don't listen to monkeys, listen to yourself....you know what sounds good ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 5
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/05/2006 5:08 pm
Thats just stupid what they did. It's just not someones place to say that.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.