View post (Music: Death of Soul)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
07/23/2001 6:34 am
Right, so, someone complains that new music has lost its soul, and then the post turns into a bagging of bands like Radiohead. Now, you may not like Radiohead, but soulless it is not. I don't like Country and Western at all, in fact, I hate it, but it has soul. Music will never lose its soul, everytime someone picks up a guitar at a campfire and sings a tune, eveytime someone gets a tune in their head that lifts them, everytime a band strives to play what they feel, not what they are told to, soul will continue. That sounded fairly corny, but it had to be said. And to suggest that bands should "stop trying to do new styles, and try to play more like it was in the 70's" is possibly the most brainless way to do anyhting other than ruin music forever I have ever seen on this board. I'm sorry if I sound harsh Zeppelin, but really, you didn't actually mean that did you? So, soul will exist in consciously trying to copy others, rather than find anything new, maybe humans in general should ascribe to this philosophy, don't do anything new, jsut go back to the good old days, aaargh, I am about to scream in frustration. Raskolnikov, every time these sorts of discussions come up you are the one ray of hope that I can see, someone who is not so sentimental about the past, and actually seems to have a clue about what he is talking about. Sorry to get so worked up, I think I am going to have to bow out of discussions about the state of music, it's all too frustrating.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".