View post (Lordathestrings post # 5000)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/16/2006 2:13 am
Jon granted my request to >start< this section of the Forum on 17 September of 2001.

>Here's< my first Tech Talk post. Its still worth reading.

For GT Forum post #1000, I posted an update. Posts #2000 & #3000 & #4000 just flew by, largely unremarked. For post #5000, it seems appropriate to re-visit the topic.

It still feels good when somebody gets the info they need! (Especially when that someone is me!) I find that my perspective has been changed by my participation here, and I see my posts a little differently, now. Some personal notes from the original thread, with a few updates:

• I've been 'round the block a time or two. Some people call this experience.... Some call it "bad navigation". Either way, it's been a helluva trip!

• I'm old enough that, in theory, I could teach the History of Rock'n'Roll from memory.... In practice, it means that my memory is not always accurate... and even the things I remember accurately could have been wrong in the first place! But I think my batting average is pretty good.

• There's a fine line between sharing accumulated knowlege, and being a 'know-it-all'. I write long-winded replies, sometimes to people who already have a good understanding of the topic, because I want anyone who reads the thread to know what we're talking about. And some lines just beg to be crossed...

• I post links to previous threads on the same topic, because I don't like to write the same long-winded reply more than once. Besides, There's so much good stuff in the archives, that I try to encourage people to get used to >searching< for stuff, instead of repeating the same question every couple of months. If you need clarificaton of some old thread, just post a reply to it, and it'll come up to the top as a fresh topic, so everyone can have a go at it. And it saves me from my compulsion to write a book every time someone asks a really good question.

• If you have a question about how things work, (or why they don't work), this is the place to ask it. If you have an answer, jump on in with it. There's more than one way to do just about anything. And some of them actually work!

• If I screwed up, (or even if you only think I did :D ), please post that. This is a [u]forum[/u] - a place to discuss things. Which [u]shouldn't[/u] require Nomex knickers.

• I STILL GET CRANKY WHEN I SEE POSTS IN ALL CAPS! :mad:

• That isn't likely to change. I [u]hate[/u] being yelled at! It's a really bad way to start a conversation with people you need help from.

• I've been a 'tech' for about the same length of time that I've been a musician. I long ago made my choice about which path I would take as a career, and which would become a hobby. Nobody pays my bills for the chance to hear my music, but God, I [u]love[/u] to play!!

• And my job is interesting too. (Check my Profile).

Thank you, Jon, for creating this very special website for the weird, argumentative, opinionated, neurotic, and generally crazed bunch of people known as Guitar Players.

Thank you, everyone, for making this Forum the special place that it is. :cool:

Peace On,
David,
aka:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons