View post (Your first gig)

View thread

jakej
jakej
06/03/2006 7:24 pm
Wow my first gig....Picture this October 1969 our high school dance. We had a local band booked (high School kids from another town) but they only new a few songs and by the first break they had all ready played all there songs. We had formed a small group (5 of us)out of our high school band. We new about half a dozen songs also so our high school band teacher told us to get our gear and get up there and help out. So there we were no notice, we played Wipe Out, Pipeline, In the year 2525, Proud Mary and a couple of others I can't remember now.
After that we hooked up with the other band and had a battle of the bands at these high school dances. We played a couple of times a month and it was great, played through 1969 and 1970 till I graduated and then had to go in to the Air Force or get drafted, the war you know. Still have most of my gear from those days. An old Tiesco electric guitar and Tiesco Bass and a univox 30 watt amp. Head and 2X12 Cab. Still have every thing but the 2X12 cab, my girl friend at the time didn't like me messing around with this other girl and kicked the front out of the 2X12 cab right after we graduated in 1970. So that was pretty much the end of my playing till a couple of years ago and I'm trying to relearn everything again and believe me it's not like riding a bike you can't just go and pick it up again.
That was some of the best time I ever had, being able to live in the 60's and play in a band it just didn't get any better than that. Well thats my story lets hear some more.... :)