View post (Your first gig)

View thread

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
05/31/2006 3:07 am
If youve read the musician's life forum on this site within the last few weeks you may have noticed my post on me having to play "Oh Canada" at my grad exercises. And i told you that i would post on how it went seeing as it was my first "Gig". Anyway no horror story really but i forgot how to play the song once i picked up the guitar on stage.But lucky I had parcticed it soooo much and as closely as i was intending to play it my fingers did it all on thier own completely from muscle memory, which I found to be a good thing for that meant i didn't mess it up. It can be frightening to watch your hands doing somthing that you mentally did not remember how to do. It was like I was in the audiance sort of an out-of-body experience.

I did come even closer to complete falure in two other aspects though.Fist when i was setting up before and plugging in my guitar i turned the mute on on my ns-2 noise surpressor so no "pop" sound would go though the P.A. and i forgot to turn off the pedal till like 5 min before having to up on stage. if i hadn't remembered then i dout i would have on stage seeing as i forgot how to play the song as was.

the song itself did go well though and despite my parents concerns and mine the old people loved the distortion and wah as much as the kids.
it's a funny thing because I played it clean right though rehersals so nobody knew or would believe me when i said i was going to add a bunch of effects.
So my classmates were as surprised as the rest of the audience.

anyway I did get it on two diffrent video recordings and once i see both i will post the better one for you guys to watch me panic on stage.

(oh yeah near the end of the song I tried to reach for my whammy bar only to notice that i had forggoten to put it in ) I would never imagined being so forgetful on the acount of nervousness, I am just so glad its done and that went for doing it my way( not prissy clean) and I do it again in a second) :cool:
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock