View post (Anyone interested in a game?)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/29/2006 8:29 am
It's called "alternate harmonies."

Right now I'm writing a string quartet. No, I don't need help, and this isn't a plea for it. However, I want to see what some of our budding theoreticians are capable of (noticingthemistake, if you happen upon this and have time, I'd like to see yours, too).

Anyhow, this string quartet has a chromatic run in it that I'd like our little family to harmonize.

Remember, there are four parts in a quartet: violin I, violin II, viola, and violoncello. As of now I have only the violin part for the chromatic run. Here is the information with which I will start you off:

1. the piece is in Gminor.
2. the chord right before the chromatic run starts is D7. In violin I: two A's above middle C, Violin II: C an octave above middle C, viola: F# above middle C, cello: D below middle C.
3. I know, I know, it's all pretty high range. Not a lot of deep tones.
4. That chord ends the measure before the chromatic run, which is a one measure eighth-note run at about 100 bpm.
5. The chromatic run begins on Ab/G# in the first violin (half step beneath the preceding A), and continues: G-Gb/F#-F-E-Eb/D#-D-Db/C#-C. If you're counting you realize that last "C" has started a new measure, it's a half note, not an eighth-note.
6. After the C comes a Bnatural half-note, then back to a C whole-note

Post any questions in this thread, I'll be happy to elaborate. Remember, you must fill in all three voices! I'll figure out a way to post the submissions in the listening post: midi files, so don't worry about whether or not you can make a midi, I have the technology myself.

Hint: It will probably be easier goings if you put a chromatic ascending run in the bass.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...