Am I learning properly...?

Trinivalts
Trinivalts
05/03/2006 3:01 pm
I've been playing for like 9 months. So now i can tune my guitar pretty well by using a whistle tuner or whatever u call it! When messarund with the major or harmonic scales most of the time i can hear if the note is in scale if I miss the shape of the scale the boxes and so.
# 1
sukerhatiaku
sukerhatiaku
03/23/2008 4:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Hardriveyou have a what they call an nylon acustic guitar what evr you do dont put steel strings on your guitar as the tenson will damage the neck and prob brake it stick with nylon strings if you need to change them your friend has a steel strung acustic guitar. In my opinion what you have a nylon strung acustic is better for new players easier on the finger tips.

Your friends guitar and yours are both acustic. there are diffrent types of acustics but in general there are classical,folk,beveld back and so on but i would imagine with out seeing it you have a classical nylon strung acustic and your mate have a steel strung acustic.

the 10 and 13 and so on you mentoned is quite simple here is a little tab with them in to show you. the numbers reprisent what fret to press.the tab below we will start with the bottom E (the fat one lol) press the fret on the 11th fret and pluck the E string then hold th 11th fret on the B string and pluck the B string.Then hold the E string on the 13th fret and pluck the E string and so on.

Top tip if you see a tab like the one below where two of the strings are on the same fret just bar them with your finger.put your index finger on the E and B string on the 11th fret and dont take it off then when you get to the part you have to press the 13th fret on the E string just use your middle finger to press it down while keeping your index fingers where they are.

E||---11--------13--------11---------------|
B||--------11--------11--------11----------|
G||-----------------------------------------| And repeat
D||-----------------------------------------|
A||-----------------------------------------|
E||-----------------------------------------|

I think you can pay via mail by sending a check to the site the info is on the site somewhere and there is a post on just the same thing somewhere. but if you do join via check or simmilar i think its $30 for 6 months as you have to join for 6 months due to admin and all of that but it will be worth it.

Currency is dollars.
hope this info helps ya

Thanks for the awesome information, dude. I've learnt alot. It has been quite some time since I last came here and Im already good with the guitar. Wohoo. Time to woo the ladies..

Thanks again, mate. :)
# 2
GenisofArchael
GenisofArchael
04/05/2008 11:10 pm
Originally Posted by: rocknrolltheCAYeah dude, I can't make some chords either - THE F CHORD

I have very small hands/fingers for my age (and I'm only 13).
It sucks. :(

At least you don't have these giant water-sausages I call fingers. Everyone said I had really long skinny fingers and should try piano or guitar. Obviously I chose to start with guitar but I keep resting the pad or fingernail on adjacent strings. :confused: I have only been practicing a short while but I'm really starting to hate that little buzzing noise of doom.
# 3
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/06/2008 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: sukerhatiakuMy tuning skill sucks!!! After all the winding and twisting i got myself an out-of-tune guitar... Im thinking of changing the strings... but before i do that, any tips on what to do to and what not to do??

First of all, what kind of guitar do you have- electric, steel string acoustic, nylon string? Make sure you get the proper strings for your type of guitar.

Why are you changing strings now? Are you in need of new strings, or because you think your "tuning skill sucks"? If you can't tune now, new strings wont change that. What's your method of tuning? Electronic tuner, tuning fork? There's plenty of online tuners, like here: http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php

You also have to be careful of the gauge (thickness of string) of the new strings you buy. If you don't want intonation nightmares, I would suggest getting the same gauge strings you are now using. If in doubt, bring the guitar with you; an experienced person should be able to eyeball the gauge within a reasonable degree.

There's plenty of methods of tuning, and I would strongly suggest you ultimately learn how to tune "manually"- meaning not by electronic means, but by using your ears. Just google "how to tune a guitar" and I'm sure you'll find different methods. I'm sure in the beginner's section of this site there's a tutorial on how to tune a guitar.

Relax. I've personally found teaching beginning players how to tune a guitar very difficult. Once you learn how to tune properly, you'll be able to tell when you're out of tune in no time. Lastly, DON'T practice with an out of tune guitar! It will really screw up you listening skills (ear training). If you get used to playing out of tune, you'll find it difficult to know when you're out of tune!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 4
-dragonfire-
-dragonfire-
04/06/2008 4:49 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoOriginally Posted by sukerhatiaku
My tuning skill sucks!!! After all the winding and twisting i got myself an out-of-tune guitar... Im thinking of changing the strings... but before i do that, any tips on what to do to and what not to do??

Hi,

Well, to start with, you could bring your guitar to a shop and have it adjusted. If your guitar goes out of tune easily, that means the guitar's entire bow is probably off. After that you can look into purchasing some locking tuners for around $70 or so which is a very good investment.

Tips on changing strings:

"Stretch" the strings. This takes the slack out of the strings and stabilizes tuning.

Make sure you change the strings properly. I'm sure somebody at your local guitar shop would be happy to teach you how to do that.

Cheers! :)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.