View post (Am I learning properly...?)

View thread

Hardrive
Hardrive
04/29/2006 12:59 pm
reading tabs just look on this site but they are simple to understand below you will see what a typical tab will look like

E||----------- <--- This is your thin string your High E
B||-----------
G||-----------
D||-----------
A||-----------
E||----------- <--- This is your bottom E which is the big fat string

Here is a simple tune to get you started all strings are played open so no need to press any strings just a good way to learn strings and there names. When you pluck the string say the note you are playing as you pluck it this will get you used to what the strings are called and help with your picking..

E||----------------0---0---------------|
B||-------------0---------0------------|
G||----------0--------------0----------| And repeat
D||--------0------------------0--------|
A||-----0------------------------0-----|
E||--0------------------------------0--|

Now how the numbers work on tabs. the numbers reprisent what fret to press and what string to pluck. Below you will see a simple tab which simpified means hold down your B string on the 3rd fret and pluck only the B string, then play the E string open dont press anything 0 = no frets pressed. but indicates that the E string needs to be plucked. then hold down the E string at the 1st fret and pluck the e string. then the E string play it open,then your B string Hold on the 1st fret and pluck the B string.

E||-----0--1--0--------------------|
B||--3-----------1-----------------|
G||--------------------------------| And repeat
D||--------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------|

Then there are chords which mean more than one note is used to make the chord. here ive done the G chord foy you to see it in tab format. As you can see you hold the High E string(the thin string) on the second fret with your ring finger, then hold the A string on the 3rd fret with your Index finger, and the E the big fat string with your middle finger. if your having problems streching put your thumb lower down the back of the neck so its opposit to your ring finger. now use your pick and strum downwards thats the G chord. Be carefull not to mute (touch other strings) other strings as this will alter the sound.

E||---2----------------------------|
B||--------------------------------|
G||--------------------------------|
D||--------------------------------|
A||---3----------------------------|

here is a D chord to show what the x's mean on a Tab. This might look a bit scary but its rather simple one you have the general idea.
If you hold the E at the second fret with your middle finger then the B with your ring finger and then the G with your index. this time we only play 4 strings E,B,G and D as 0= play open sometimes tabs will have this blank which means the same play open. The x's mean dont play this string so the A and the E the fat string we dont play. so now strum downwards on the D G B and E strings and thats your D chord.

B||---3----------------------------|
G||---2----------------------------|
D||---0----------------------------|
A||---x----------------------------|
E||---x----------------------------|

theres more involved as you progress like slides and bends and pull offs and so on but this should get you started in the right direction learn the name of the strings and how to read tabs.

Isnt a classical guitar an acusstic...

A good way to start learning is to start with the right foundations I would highly recomend this site to anyone and well worth the money to join god its less that a magazine from a newsagents and there is so much here to learn and from my own experiance ive learnt 95% of what i know from here and in 2 months I can play simple songs but they impress others.

Good luck dude hope it goes well for you and the info helped.
And the more experianced here if ive miss quoted something or explained wrong pls tell me so i can ammend it. Just trying to help.

Just as a note this post is compiled by my self with the knowlage from this site thats how good this site is for learning the basics as well as the more complex stuff. And the excercises made by myself and the little tune not bad for a beginer eh lol.
If your Fingers aint bleading you havent practiced enough...