View post (making the switch need advice please?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/16/2001 10:22 pm
Well, it depends. You can still use your amp, and it will probably sound OK, but are you planning on playing with other people any time soon? If you are, you'll want a bigger amp, and I think it's better to invest early in good 50 watt (or so) tube amp early. That said, I'de think about it if I were you, for a few resons:

• Amps cost money, you probably won't get a lot of money for your Dean amp if you trade it in, so you'll be footing most of the bill.

• Tube amps (which most people agree have the best tone) are HEAVY, if you're adverse to the idea of lugging around about a pound a watt (give or take a couple ounces), you may want to wait.

• You allready have an amp. If you aren't planning on playing out or jamming with some friends in the near future, then a large amp will only annoy the neigbors (and tube amps are ment to be turned up a bit, so they get less than ideal tone at low volumes).

So that's some stuff to think on. If you do decide to buy a larger amp try to sit down with a guitar that's similar in design to yours and play with it for a while. Try different amps and see what sounds best to you. If you go for about 50-60 watts of tube amp you'll have something that will cut through if you're playing with friends or a small show, and can be miced for larger venues. If you're just going to be playing alone for a while though, it's probably a good idea to wait and invest a little more money into the guitar. Try to keep in mind though that tone and playability is what's most important. Make your self happy, not the salesman.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons