View post (several questions on guitar customization)

View thread

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2006 9:11 pm
so I finally decided to get around to customizing the ibanez that I bought for the sole purpose of customizing. On the pickguard, I'm going to attempt to re-route the neck position pickup to change from single coil to humbucker. thus making the guitar into H/S/H. I've got some other questions relating to customization though:

1) I've decided on a dimarzio X2N pickup for the bridge, and a tone zone for the neck. but can someone help me in choosing a middle, single coil pickup? Basically, I'm like PRS in that when I want a clean tone, I want it to sound pushed to the point where it has a bit of breakup. now, because of the switching settings, positions 2, 3, and 4 of my pickup selecter will be two of the 5 total coils (humbuckers have two!) set-up as hum-cancelling single coil tone. so I need a pickup good for that. I want something that'll give a bit different sound then the humbuckers, but yet not a mini-bucker. keep in mind that this guitar is to be a metal machine, so I don't want something meant for country or anything. so basically, in summary, I want the middle pickup to be relatively high gain to cause some breakup on a tube amp, not a mini-bucker, it needs to be F-spaced, and I'd like for it to have plenty of mids. I also really like the look of the pickups with the bar magnets, so if it was one of those kind, that would be a plus.

2) currently, on the guitar, the bridge and middle pickups are F-spaced, but the neck position is not. so am I right in saying that when I go for the new humbucker in the neck position, that it needs to be standard spaced?

3) I need some help in choosing a color pattern. I was thinking black and blue, since the guitar is already blue. I just paint the pickguard black. I found some knobs that are really cool looking, black knobs with a blue abalone top. I could get all the pickups blue too. but I don't know about having all black hardware because the bridge is staying, and that is chrome, I don't know if it'll look out of place. so suggestions on what to do, color-wise, would be appreciated.

4) yes or no on these sperzel tuners? I've heard good and bad things. I don't mind needing to drill a bigger hole to fit them. I just want to know, because the price is making me second-guess whether they are really that good. I know doc simon uses these, but I don't know if he uses THESE in particular, or some other kind of sperzels.

that's all I have for now. I'm sure there will be more questions later on. thanks in advance!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace