View post (sweep picking techniques)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
03/24/2006 12:20 pm
Some good points above. As far as pick type and action goes, it's entirely personal preference. For example, Yngwie plays on very high action - similar to that of a classical guitar. He also over exagerates the movements so each finger comes at least 1cm away from the string as the pick passes over - one of the reasons why he gets such clarity. Rusty Cooley on the other hand plays with low action and only lifts his fingers about 1mm off the strings. Both players have very different styles but excellent technique.
Some players use big chunky picks, others use soft flexible ones - personally I like Dunlop 9's;-)
Playing to a metronome is good advice and sticking to the speed untill you get it mastered is even better. I realy found playing to a looped midi arpeggio the best way of improving for me. What helped me the most was being able to play to an even rhythm. One of the biggest mistakes most beginners in sweeping make is not keeping an even tempo across each note (becomes difficult with hammer ons because the pick does not move at the same speed up and down each string). That's where midi realy helped me.