View post (Guidance with improving skills.)

View thread

Neocenturion
Neocenturion
04/18/2006 9:59 pm
What was said above about focusing on theory, i completly agree with. I've been playing for about 6 years, and was stuck in a rut for about 1 1/2, up until about 6 months ago. I found a great, simple document that broke down most of the aspects of theory that you can apply in a simple manor. Start with a basic major scale, and understand how the others are built on top of that. Understand that a flat 3rd on a major arpeggio (1 3 5) will put you into minor arpeggio (1 b3 5). Start expanding the arpeggios (1 3 5 7 or 1 b3 5 b7) and see where those take you.

Its also important to understand which scales you need to be on on top of what chords, but this won't be very important until your writting your own stuff, or playing with a band.

Long story short, its most likely not a technique problem, its that your brain can't keep up with the speed of the music, so your fingers struggle with it. However, also make sure you look at your technique, and fix things like a 'floating pinky' or improve at palm muting, all of those things will help your articulation.