View post (Guidance with improving skills.)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
04/02/2006 9:07 pm
Originally Posted by: tab_ishHey guys,

I'm a university student and I've been playing guitar for a good few years now, but I'd like to improve my skills that further step and I'm finding it a little challenging at the moment. I have the motivation but I'm unsure what strategy and lessons would lead to the best results. My inspirations are Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, and so on...

I've tried a few different practice schedules but I find that they become redundant and I dont notice a significant difference in my performance overall.

Could you guys offer some tips on how I can improve my sweeping/legato techniques?

Also, any suggestions on what kind of songs are good for improving skills that extra notch are greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I'm looking into taking metal guitar lessons over the summer. What kind of things should I be wary of when choosing an instructor, taking lessons? (I have taken lessons before but it was a few years ago.)

Thanks!!

p.s. anybody know any good instructors in the toronto area?

You are ready for a big jump in skills. You say you,ve been playing for some time, and to me it seems you have reached that point where you realize the need for more understanding? Thats the key "understanding"! If you really want to beef up the skills, and go from avarage, to impressive take this advice= Look into basic music theroy, and get an understanding of how music works. Then study up on the musical layout of your gutiar,(where all the notes fall on the fretboard). Then get in key, put much effort on understanding musical keys, and how to play in key without drifting out into the twilite zone! And if you do drift out, find out why, and learn to stay in. It is most important to learn to stay in key all the way through the neck. I have never understood why any one could be satisfyed with only knowing a part of the neck, and being completly in the dark about those lonely, dusty, unused frets way down there. Even if you dont play certain areas of the fretboard often you should still know where the scale pattern is located in the key your playing in anyway,Top to Bottom, no excuses. I personaly have never felt acomplished in my playing untill I met these goals, and that is where the skills, and creativity will blast off in leaps, and bounds. As your studying these musical in's, and outs you will likly start to realize how the songs you have been playing for all these years were actually put together, and the lightbulb in your head will go off, and it will all be down hill from there!
I know this sounds hard, and it is. Being a acomplished gutiarist takes years of constant practice, but if you want it bad enough this in my opinion is the quickist, easyist way to get serious about it.
I am sure there are things I have failed to mention. So bottom line, start working towards really understanding your instrument, and the music it plays, and remember (whole step-whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-whole step-half step). Its all about "understanding"
As for the question on songs for good learning, I have found it better to study the artists making the good songs. All the artists in the columb on the left of screen in this site are wonderful!
As for instructors. 1st thing education. Make sure they know there stuff so you will learn correctly the first time, then if you get along well is also important to keep up your motivation. But thats just me.