View post (Should I put EMGs in my new Gibson?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
03/03/2006 6:20 pm
First off... don't let these "other bands" that you see on TV persuade you to usng certain gear... If you really want the EMG tone then by all means. But if you want to get them just because the guys from Metallica use them... you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Secondly... As said before EMGs will pretty much sound like EMGs... you may notice a little difference in clean tones depending on the guitar but in the distortion settings (which is where the EMGs really shine) you'll get basically the same tone as any other guitar.... If you're looking for that EMG bite check out some of the hot pickups from bareknuckles... they'll cost about the same as a set of EMG 81s or an 81/85 set.... maybe a little more. I would suggest looking into a set of Seymour Duncan JB/59s. Its one of the more versatile sets out there and it gives you a great range of tones while still allowing you to get mean distortion and nice clear clean tones. EMGs lack on the clean tone... it sounds too thin and flat to me...