View post (LATS... other people prone to riding contraptions with only two wheels...)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/12/2006 9:37 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOne... i just don't like the thought of accidentally letting loose on a bike that has 150hp when i should be stopping... but even still, a blooper with a 300+ hp engine is a lot more dangerous in many situations than a blooper with a 150hp engine.

Something to bear in mind: Power-to-Weight Ratio.

A 3000 pound car with a 150 hp motor is fairly capable. The P/W ratio is 20 pounds per horsepower.

An 'old geezer' bike like the 1981 GS1000G shaft-drive UJM that I gave away last year weighs a bit under 600 pounds and puts out maybe 65 horsepower. That's a P/W ratio of a little less than 10 pounds per horsepower. Which puts it in the same acceleration category as a full-race-prepped NASCAR machine! And that's a 25 year old bike. :cool:

My newly-rebuilt 1986 FJ1200S is still in a fairly mild state of tune. I do not want reliability issues. So it only puts out about 140 hp. And the bike weighs about 570 pounds. There's not a street-legal car on the road that even comes close. And that's a 20 year old bike. :D

The new ones are lighter and more powerful! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons