View post (Starting out a progressive metal band)

View thread

MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
02/05/2006 11:44 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanhmmm... Progressive rock is a hard genre to define... generally its filled with all sorts of music that don't fit into any other genres... You have bands like Dream Theatre... because they're way too technical to be considered just rock.. or hard rock... Then you have bands like Modest Mouse, Mars Volta, and Queens of the Stone Age that are just as close to being rock as any... The genre is about being different and not doing something different than everyone else. Eventually all Prog bands fall into Genres...Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers... the list goes on. Find some songs from some of those bands that you can do... obvioulsy anything by Dream Theater my be out of reach... but if you're starting a Prog band you should know something about the music and you should have some songs already in mind. Just work toward those songs. I can't suggest any off the top of my head because I don't know what style of prog band you want to have... Do you want a trippy jam band style band, Mars Volta style... or just a band with a different sound... Modest Mouse style??

actually we are in to dream theater. but like you said it is out of reach. thats why i ask if anyone of you have easier songs...
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p