View post (Looking for things in your playing that doesn't sound like anyone else...)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
06/12/2001 10:03 pm
As a guitarist we're always trying new things, but the best guitarists from the past and future are those who refuse to follow conventions and who have trhe courage to be themselves. Are there certain new techniques that you have added to your style over the past few weeks etc that has made your overall creatrive process more interesting? A good way to stand on your own from the rest...

There are more than a handful of guitarists today who choose to travel down the safe road, instead of experimenting with their abilities for all its worth. Whether or not they sound like someone else (well, thats probably the last thing on most musicians minds), because if they can get away with it they will. We're not always prepared to hear something different, something totally outragious, but thats when those moments of creativity begin. Personally, as a musician, the second my material sounds too familiar with something from the past, I usually tend to start over. Although others probably wouldn't notice, and I could probably get away with it, its just something that I refuse to go along with. Rage Against The Machine, one thing that astands out wuth this nbands music is originality. Whether or not you appreciate what they have to offer you can't deny that these guys created their own rules. Now I can only imagine what the remaining members of this band and Chris Cornell are up to, it should be most interesting...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."