View post (Bass players in the world)

View thread

Willdridge
Willdridge
06/11/2001 7:52 pm
I actually, even as a guitarist, am very intrigued by the bass guitar. There's something about that "bottom end" that appeals to me - the problem always was that in most of the things I heard the bass player simple followed what the guitarist was doing. Well, they were both playing the same thing, perhaps the guitarist was following the bass player, y'never know!
I think that a lot of bass players now are taking a lot more pride in their instrument and are building up the confidence to actually out show us egotistical guitarists. I appreciate anyone who's good at what they do. Sure I listen to the catchy riff in a song but more often I find myself wanting the drummer or bass player to do something interesting. Maybe guitar players of recent have largely fallen in a collective rutt and it'll be a while before anyone really takes it to a new level.
Why do you think, though, that bassists are beginning to come out the shadows? Confidence? Are they getting smarter and fed up with "Hear about the bassplayer who..."? People:- Your opinions, please!!!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.