View post (Worst guitar amps/Amp Stories)

View thread

SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
01/16/2006 7:16 am
I did a search for worst gear threads and saw a few, but I didn't see any specifically on guitar amps. Reading many reviews of amps on Harmony Central got me to wondering what are the worst amps ever made. So I wanted to ask everyone here what's the worst amp you've ever heard or played? Keep in mind the reason for the amp being bad could be anything from over hype advertising, horrible reliability, horrible sound, awful look or anything else. I'd love to hear any funny or entertaining stories anyone has as well.

We all know a lot of Crate amps get bad reviews, but after checking out the cheap prices of Marshall JCM900's on Ebay, I was curious. I found some bad reviews on Harmony Central. It's surpising to see a Marshall amp not have good reviews. Anyone own one of these? I haven't really heard too many bad amps, but I have to tell the story of how my ex-bandmate and I turned a SS into a real "sceamer" My sister got a guitar amp when she started playing guitar. It was brand new, a real cheapo thing made in Taiwan probably. It wasn't more than 15 watts and the speaker is about 6 1/2". It was the only thing I really had at the time so the guitarist was playing through it and we had everything turned all the way up. It wasn't really distorted. It was more like a really loud crappy SS clean sound. Well the third day we were playing through it, it suddenly started off with this high pitched shrill scream almost like a pick drag. I thought he was just sliding his pick down a string or something but it kept going and he stopped playing. He kind of hit the amp lightly and it stopped. So we kept playing and it happened off and on for a couple of days. The one day it kept going forever and we kept hitting it. Suddenly there was no sound at all. So we stopped and I felt really bad about ruining my sisters amp. The next day he came back over. We were sitting there turning the knobs up and down trying to get sound out of it. We turned it off and then back on. The sound came back on suddenly. When it came back on, there was no clean sound anymore. It was complete crunch. It only gets louder and softer now. It was funny if you were there hearing this thing scream. I've never heard anything like it. So anyone else have any stories to tell about crappy amps or just amps in general?