View post (Hammer on problem)

View thread

I-don't-carican
I-don't-carican
01/12/2006 11:04 am
First off, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. So sorry if I'm not. I just figured my problem is kinda basic so Guitar Basics should do?

Well, the thing is I have a lot of difficulty playing hammer-ons. Okay, I'll be honest, I can't play them at all. I know what I'm supposed to do and I'm capable of physically doing it but when I put down my finger on the second note, I just end up muting it instead of making it sound.

If my problem is still unclear, I'll try to make it clearer. Let's say we have a *0h 2* to play on the D string. I pick the D string open, then, put a finger down on the second fret. That's what I'm supposed to do, right? But even though the note rings when I pick it open (of course, it would), when I put my finger down on the second fret, it just stops sounding. Or if I hammer it down hard enough, it makes this little measly sound that can't possibly be what it's meant to do!

Any tips? Advice on how to put my finger down so the note actually rings? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.