View post (what should i be practising?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/06/2006 4:43 pm
I agree with all that! To add on to that... I would say that you kind of have to choose what path you want to take. For example, if you want to play more of the lead type stuff and you're into a lot of metal... you're probably going to want to work on a lot of scale work and get your fingers use to playing fast and other techniques like pinch harmonics, tapping, and sweeping... If you're more into acoustic stuff or more into chunky rythyms and riffs... you may want to work on chords and alternate tuning type stuff... and your strumming techniques like palm muting, spider riffing, and translating chord shapes... stuff like that. It depends on what your influences are really... You have to ask your self what kind of guitarist do you want to be? Then go out and practice everything that goes along with that style. Then you can move onto other styles. I, myself, have been doing a bunch of styles at once because my taste in music is so vast... So just practice whatever keeps you interested and will help you be the guitarist that you want to be.