View post (Crazy customization!)

View thread

pure
pure
01/06/2006 10:54 pm
Originally Posted by: parrotheada1aI understood that clearly from the beginning. I was merely pointing out something that I learned the hard way about 15 years ago. You can make a stencil out of almost anything. I've actually made stencils out of rubber cement, liquid latex rubber, and even chunks of wood.
As I said though, you DO NOT want to use WD40, or any similar type product as a release agent. WD40 is a penetrant/lubricant. Paint will not stick to anything that has even trace amounts of the stuff on it. Adding to the PIA factor, the edges of the stencil will be very ragged looking and probably not pretty at all.
To get rid of the WD40, you would have to soak parts in a bath of warm soapy water, rinse in clear water, and then let it air dry or use a hair dryer. The thing is, the stencil itself wouldn't survive the cleaning process.

What kind of graphic effect are you trying to achieve? Got a piccie?

i was originally going to paint a lanscape on it but then i realised that there's no way i can get a media that will stay on and will be controllable... so then i decided to see if there was another way to make a design, so i thought of a custom made stencil. the thing is, i dont have an example made caue i wasnt sure if it would be possible, and thats why i asked yall before i went ahead and used the wd-40 and the glue-gun.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks