View post (playing a barritone guitar)

View thread

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/09/2005 12:32 pm
Oooh, everyone hold on tight for the move...

I play a baritone guitar (in addition to a few regular six strings)...I love mine...it is very much a niche instrument, and would probably not work out too well as your main or only guitar, unless you play in an extremely heavy band, or have another guitarist who handles regular guitar duties (also assuming you only play with the band and dont enjoy playing other styles on your own). I used to use my baritone as a weapon in a really really heavy band...but now, I am playing in a much calmer, poppy type prog band, and I use it quite a bit, but clean, and usually for arpeggiated picking patterns etc...or some jazzy licks...but I only use it when there is another guitar around to handle regular duties...so it works well to blend (in fact, I dont play this guitar live anymore...I just record the parts onto my digitech Jam man, and loop them under my other parts...)

In all, I love them, they are definately useful, but not particularly versatile (although, having said that, I use mine in a very non-baritone kinda way, or atleast, non-rock-baritone way).

Mike Mushok uses one exclusively if I am correct...but many rock guitarists use them on certain parts...I know Tom Morello used one on Like A stone(Audioslave) and I'm pretty sure that Tommy Victor of Prong uses one fairly often...I'd say if you are tuning your guitar down any more than one step, you shoudl definately look at a baritone...the only problem being that you cant tune it to standard e should you ever get bored of heavy music.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]