View post (Pickup quieries)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/09/2005 2:30 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKUsing the split coil option will introduce more noise. The annoying little hum will be louder with the split coil option. This was the reason I didn't go with that option with my Tone Zone.
[font=trebuchet ms]"Split Coils" is a misleading name for shorting out one of the coils in a humbucker. Of course it gets noisy - it's now a single-coil pickup.

Four-wire pickups simply allow you to connect the coils any way you want to. And series/parallel is definitely the way to go. Series connection is what standard 2-wire humbuckers give you. Parallel connection retains the hum-bucking quietness, with a lower-output sound that's closer to single-coil, without the hum. I use this switching setup for both humbuckers in any guitar I modify. I also add a phase switch to the neck pickup for even more tones.

All of these mods are implemented with switches that are built-in to the control pots. As long as your guitar body is thick enough to acommodate the extra depth, there's no worries. Just lotsa tone.[/font] :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons