View post ($3000 to spend)

View thread

SPL
SPL
10/27/2005 8:56 pm
Are you thinking Mac or PC? Do you need MIDI sequencing? How many inputs do you need? Do you want to do any outboard processing? Do you want to you use an external digital interface to record/mix, or do you want to do it all with your mouse?

Here's a list of what I'd get:

- a nice desk/workstation with room for 2 medium sized computer screens side to side, and with elevated posts on both ends to put the monitors on at about earlevel.
- a nice and fast PC, preferably with 2 hard drives, with the possibility to run two screens, and with a DVD burner (for storing audio data)
- Digidesign's Pro-Tools M-Powered with whatever M-Audio interface that fits your needs.
- a pair of Mackie HR824's
- a nice comfi chair

Of course, if you're new to this, I wouldn't go wild and spend all that money at once. Start small, get the hang of things. You'll automatically learn what you need and what you don't, and just expand from there.

Originally Posted by: magicninjaI find recording to a computer somewhat difficult and touchy sometimes.

With any equipment you're going to use there is a learning curve. I assure you that recording on a computer doesn't have to be difficult at all.