View post (Serious Floyd Rose Problem)

View thread

3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/23/2005 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadI've followed your instructions. The points were slightly worn so I tidied them up a bit and tightened the truss rod slightly (it was quite loose). This seems to have worked (I've just tuned it and despite needing to reset the intonation everything seems in tune :D ) yet for some reason, if I depress the bar far enough, the right side of the bridge seems to slip off the post by a few millimetres, then returns (still in tune may I add) to its original position. Is this supposed to happen or have I done something really bad? :confused:

That is not a good thing, and could lead to more problems. Are your posts at the same height? Check to see if the wood has been compressed in the front of the treble side pivot post. It sounds like the post aren't aligned properly. If the wood has been compressed, you can fix it by putting in a hardwood dowel, and redrilling the hole, but that is a procedure best left to someone that has experience. Also, are your pivot posts screws that go sraight into the wood, or are they inserts that go into metal, as it is more common for the compresion effect to occur with screws. However if your guitar is made of a soft material like basswood, it's possible for the same thing to occur even if the posts are inserts rather than screws.

Did you trim the fulcrum points? If you did, and one side is trimmed more than the other, it could also lead to the problem you describe. I doubt this however as any triming should have been minute. You may also be able to solve the problem by simply replacing the pivot posts.

Let me know.