View post (Serious Floyd Rose Problem)

View thread

3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/21/2005 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaI have a Jackson with a Floyd Rose on it and it's a b**ch to drop tune it. I ordered a Tremsetter by Hipshot, it says it eliminates this problem. Got it for 30 bucks off EBAY but I haven't recieved it yet. On a sidenote, when you detune your E string use your fine tuning knob on the trem. You'll have to screw it most of the way in when you originally tune your guitar to a standard tuning then when you are ready to detune you just back that fine tuning knob out and whalla, drop d. That way you don't have to mess around with the nut. I'll let you know how the tremsetter works when I get it in da mail and put it in. Also, there is a thing called the Tremconverter, you can get it at Stew Mac. It allows you to lock the trem in place with the turn of a little knob. That would allow you to detune to whatever you like. It's about twice as much as the Tremsetter.

You would have this problem with ANY floating trem. When you drop the E to D, you are reducing string tension, therefore the springs will exude more force than intended, 'causing the other strings to go sharp. Major pain in the ass. The tremsetter will help, but it isn't perfect either. The trem converter will work, but also has drawbacks in that when it is engaged, you can't use the trem. Instead of using your fine tuner to drop the tuning, why not get the EVH D-Tuna? super quick tuning change...you can use it in the middle of a song if you like, it is so fast. Really the only way to completely fix this problem is to have your trem flush with the body of your guitar, that way it can't pull back sending the other strings sharp when you de-tune. Of course, if pulling up on your wiggle stick is just as important as pushing down on it, and you want to use the bar when in drop D, then the tremsetter is the way to go.

Good Luck