View post (Serious Floyd Rose Problem)

View thread

pogohead
pogohead
10/20/2005 12:09 pm
Hi there

I bought a second hand epiphone explorer with a floyd rose trem that locks at the nut and has little screw clamps at the bridge.

Originally I restrung it and did all the spring adjusting to get the bridge parallel and tuned it to normal pitch without many problems, but I've recently needed to detune to D for a gig and I'm having some problems.

I readjusted the springs to make up for the lack of tension and tuned with the machine heads. I then locked the nut and made sure it was still in tune. I then noticed there was a lot of fret buzz so I've ended up turning the mounting screws to raise the bridge (I first tried moving the saddles but this didnt work well).

Now it simply will not stay in tune. I tune the strings to pitch using the fine tuners and find theres intonation problems (seriously not easy to rectify), then I play for 30 seconds and it goes out of tune again. I keep tuning it then the second I use the tremolo arm it goes out of tune again, sometimes up, sometimes down.

Often if I press the bar and let go (this happened in normal pitch too) it'll stay in tune but if I pull it up 1mm it sort of gets stuck in a higher pitch.

Someone help me please! The gig is my wedding and my missus will be devastated if I don't play :(