View post (Line 6 Spider II combo)

View thread

ott_face
ott_face
11/04/2005 5:27 am
The SpiderII IS a nice amp, good sounds, great versatility, and over all worth the money. But I have recently discovered the Behringer V-Ampire which kicks arse against the SpiderII. I ended up buying the 120watt 112 model and it's amazing. It's range of sounds decimates the SpiderII, and it has 125 storage spaces.

It also has all the extra features that really bring it to the next level above the SpiderII. It has a noise gate, universal EQ aswell as the individual EQ of each patch, a series of cabinet emulations that can be used freely with any amplifer emulation, a driver booster, a number of different reverbs, and a nice effect range with good control, including tap tempo.

The best thing about it though is the connectivity. It has stereo XLR direct outs including analogue speaker emulations, stereo 1/4 inch line outs, 1/4 power outs which can be configered an a variety of ways, a pre DSP effects loop, an auxilery in with individual gain setting and best of all, MIDI in/out. The midi is killer, you can use all manner of sequencers and controllers to change patches and adjust all parameters, you can link it up with a multi-effects board like a Boss GT-6, and my favourite application is full control from my computer.

Theres great software on the Behringer website which allows you to write patches on the computer, control the amp realtime, and save limiless patch libraries (in case 125 patches just isn't enough for you :) ) The software allows incredibly precise control that manual knobs could never give you, and it also allows far better control over the effects. Another brilliant feature is the LED rings around the knobs, so when you change patches you can see the exact settings each patch has. BRILLIANT!

Admittedly Behringer does have a bad reputation for quality... but I've giged mine a fair few times and it hasn't let me down yet.

Considering the fact that the V-Ampire is far cheaper than the SpiderII, I'd say the SpiderII just isn't competition. 10/10 for the Behringer, i reccomend everyone trying one out.