View post (strange technique)

View thread

3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/21/2005 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: MikekalashehIt's definitely not good to bend your headstock...you can create the effect randy did by doing that...but you can do the same thing alot safer with a tremolo bar, or like someone mentioned, bend the strings below the bridge. If you try to bend your actual headstock, which in turn would **** with your truss rod and neck...you have a chance of eventually ****ing up your intonation. Not worth it.

I've been doing neck bends for years and have yet to have a problem. I've been repairing guitars professionaly for eight years. It not a serious issue in my experience. I guess it is possible to get carried away, but neck bendind isn't used to try to replicate a serious Van Halen style dive bomb, just for sublte vibrato, or a slow detuning. You won't mess up the truss rod by using this technique unless you go WAY overboard with it. That said, I probably wouldn't try it with a hollowbody guitar(like a ES-335), or acoustic. And of course I'd think twice, although I've done it outta habit, before doing it with a vintage peice. If your guitar feels sturdy you should be ok, but if it feels flimsy, just use your head. It can be a cool technique, and looks awesome on stage....the audience will think your just a guitar animal!! haha