View post (The best concert you been to????)

View thread

martiniconqueso
Full Access
martiniconqueso
Full Access
06/12/2021 2:15 pm

I'm not crazy about big arena rock shows, so I haven't seen a lot of the big-name bands that other folks have. Never saw the Stones, etc. - I did catch the Who in their first "Farewell" tour in 1982.

Most of the shows I really remember were in smaller venues. Robyn Hitchock/Billy Bragg - no band, just the two of them solo, in turn, with their guitar playing bits and pieces of their respective catalogs. A ridiculously loud Jesus Lizard show at the 40 Wat Club in Athens, GA in the early 90s. I still have tinitus in my left ear from that. The best gig ever from a guitar player perspective was Bill Kirchen in a tiny bar in Asheville, NC in about 2008 or so?

But for just most memorable - I saw Alejandro Escovedo play maybe a half-dozen song set with his band, all acoustic, on the sidewalk in front of Criminal Records in Little Five Points, Atlanta, in maybe '96 or '97? That one ranks way up there in my memory. Probably 30 people total showed up. I also saw him later that night in a packed bar which was also great. And did nothing to improve my tinitus . . .

=Keith