View post (Hey, LATS... (and some others on here))

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/23/2005 3:25 am
[font=trebuchet ms]I can't claim to know the law in the UK, but usually the reason for banning racing exhaust systems for street use is the noise levels. Less restrictive exhaust pipes are often quite a bit louder than factory stock pipes, which have to meet serious legal requirements before the bike can be sold.

By 'chipped' he means that the PROM IC chip that controls the fuel injection and igintion systems has been replaced with an after-market unit that provides better throttle response and more power. These are usually illegal because the exhaust emissions no longer meet the spec.

It's a measure of the engineering improvements over the years that her 750 turns in numbers close to my 1986 Yamaha FJ1200S. 0 - 60 mph. in 2.8 seconds, 75 mph. in 1st gear. I don't know what the top end is. The speedo only reads up to 265 kph (165 mph.) At that speed, it was still accelerating strongly. The road looked like it was about 1/2" wide, and I decided that I really didn't need to know. I would guess that I was doing something over 270 kph. (168 mph.) by the time I backed off. That was in stock trim. Since then, I've installed .020" oversize pistons, a Stage III Dyna-jet kit in the carburetors, a Dyna ignition system, and done some minor tweaking on the exhaust system. After the rebuild, it dyno'd at 140 horsepower at the rear wheel. So it's probably a bit faster than it was.[/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons