View post (Most versatile guitarist?)

View thread

FireAndIce24
FireAndIce24
07/25/2005 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonScarified, Metal Dog, Screamin' Blues O Mania, Gilberto Concerto, The Jig, Technical Difficulties, Viking Kong, the list goes on.

from an interview w/ him, and he doesnt have anywhere near as much as stach or vai

Your album seems more nostalgic than the stuff you've done with Mr. Big. The closest I came to anything Mr. Big was "Double Trouble," which leads me to believe that when people go off and do solo albums, and the music is totally different from the bands they were in, it makes me think they've been dying to do this because they have their own way of writing.

That's why I wanted to do the album in the first place. I was writing stuff for Mr. Big. And the main inspiration was to do songs that I can sing, because I've had a lot of offers, over the years, people who've suggested that I do an instrumental guitar record. I've just never been that big a fan of instrumental guitar music. I can take a song here and there, but, in general, the stuff I listen to always has a singer. That's what I like. Whenever I write, lots of times I write simultaneously the guitar and vocal part. When I write, I'm the one that's singing, so I'll write for my voice. Everybody's voice is different. Sometimes, when I write a song and play it for Mr. Big, Eric, the singer, would go, "Man, it doesn't feel comfortable for me to sing it, because you wrote it for your voice." Some of the songs were written during the Mr. Big era. Some are more recent.