Where to start....

CW14
CW14
08/07/2005 2:04 am
Some friends (another guitarist and a bassist/vocalist) and I are planning to start a metal band pretty soon. We know a KICK ASS drummer, but we haven't actually mentioned to him about starting the band yet. We wanna get some songs prepared before we do that though.

I know this has been asked here before, but I'm a little confused about how to write songs with a band. It'd be just me and the other guitarist working on them for the time being.

So how would we do this? I have about a hundred riffs on my computer and he's got a few too. Would we just get together and trade ideas and see what we can come up with on our own or write the songs on our own and give each other input once theyre done? I'm confusing myself now...
BOL
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/07/2005 4:57 pm
A lot of times when writing songs, I tend to find that jamming is the best way to do it. You'll just play what sounds good, and the next thing you know, the other guitar player is going, "Man, that's cool."

If you already have some riffs, play them together and see which ones you like. Just keep an open mind, because you may like one, and he may not, or vice versa. Gotta be able to compromise.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
Micreef333
Micreef333
08/07/2005 5:18 pm
I think the best way to introduce a song to the world is through idea, as in words. Put together some wicked lyrics and there you go.
[FONT=Times New Roman]
:cool:REEF :cool:
[/FONT][CODE]
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/07/2005 6:08 pm
Every band works differently; do what works for you guys and, as Pantallica said, be prepared to comprimise and try out other people's ideas.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/08/2005 3:24 pm
I usually write the lyrical melody before we do the backing chords. Sometimes I have to do some melody-editing in order to fit the backing we come up with.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
08/08/2005 3:40 pm
That's one thing that I find interesting about music. Every band has a slightly different way of doing the same thing. I have a DVD... Classic Albums:Metallica's Black Album. It's a great DVD about how they made the album and all that... If you're a fan I suggest it. But anyway! After they got done touring they all just went back to their houses and just brainstormed by themsleves and put it all on tape. Then a few months later they all got together in the studio and listened through the tapes together. They picked out the riffs that they really liked and they started jamming on them. That is the Black album in a nutshell. It's also funny how Hettfield does his lyrics. They get the complete music tracks done... all but the vocals... then he goes and dubs a temp track over the top with him just saying the melody... Like... "NAAH NAAAAAAAAAH NAH NAH NAH NAAAAAAAAH NAH"... he says no words just lays out the melody... then he goes back through and writes the lyrics to fit the melody. I thought that was pretty cool. But yeah, everyone does it different and it may not seem orthodox but just go with it. Remember it's a gruop effort so your opinion counts and sometimes you have to bite your tongue. I do suggest doing your own thing and come up with individual riffs then listen through them and them jam on them and see where it goes. Generally you can tell if a specific riff will work or not. It will just click into place.
# 6
CW14
CW14
08/10/2005 8:41 am
I remember watching that DVD a while back. I'll have to take another look. The one thing I really remember James saying is that a good riff is pretty much the meat of a song and you're just adding bits on to it.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds the way to go. I'll put some riffs on cd and get him to also, then we can listen through and pick out the good ones.
BOL
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
08/10/2005 3:42 pm
Yeah, no prob. It really works well because sometimes if you have similar styles to the other guy you guys will record some riffs that potentially can be molded together to form different parts of a song. It's a good way to keep you and your band mates from getting tunnel vision and turning out 10 songs that sound about the same.
# 8
CW14
CW14
08/14/2005 2:37 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanYeah, no prob. It really works well because sometimes if you have similar styles to the other guy you guys will record some riffs that potentially can be molded together to form different parts of a song. It's a good way to keep you and your band mates from getting tunnel vision and turning out 10 songs that sound about the same.

Our styles are pretty different...

He sounds like Alexi Laiho meets Randy Rhoads and I sound like Jeff Hanneman meets James Hetfield (rhythm wise, anyway). Could the difference in styles work to our advantage also?
BOL
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.