View post (PODxt)

View thread

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/02/2005 6:55 pm
Both would do fine, but be prepaired to be patient with the XT. You can get some amazing tones, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it just right. Also, you need to learn to listen with your ears and not with your eyes. What I mean by this is, don't expect to be playing the XT/2.0 through your amp and switch it to a Rectifier, JCM800 or whatever and expect your amp to sound like that amp. However, you can get close to those amps, but it might be with a totaly different model. Also, it's best to plug your guitar into the POD and your POD into your amps effects return. This will bypass your amps preamp, so you don't have to worry about it coloring the sound of the POD. Your amp will still color the tones comming from your POD, depending on your amps power section whether it's tube or solid state, and also the speakers your amp uses. Remember, there are no rules when looking for tone. Try everything imaginable whether it seems logical or not. Sometimes the most outlandish idea ends up turning into the best thing you could have ever done for your tone.

A few tips for the XT:
-The presets generally are a bad example of the XT's capabilitys
-When you turn the gain up past noon/half-way most models turn to mush and get real fizzy
-Use the presence knob sparingly
-Mids are your friend! (this applies to any amp real or modeled)
-Spend no more than 15 min. setting up a patch. Any longer and your ears will get used to the model/cab/etc.. So, save your work and play through several other patches to keep your ears fresh.
-Use the post eq only if needed, and if needed, use as little as possible
-Points 1 & 4 are shelving eq's meaning that everything above 4 will be boosted or cut, and everything below 1 will be boosted or cut.
-When setting up an amp model, don't have any effects turned on, and have the mic's air set to zero if in studio mode.
-What works for one person will likely not work for you, but it can with a little tweaking
-Just because it/one says to do this or that doesn't mean it will work for you, sometimes "your" tone is found in the most unconventional way.

I hope some of that helps.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<