View post (I want ot clear up this gay thing)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
05/07/2001 1:45 am
I know what you mean though, as I used to be guilty of the same thing. I realised that I spent a lot of time attacking homophobic points of view and I realised that subconsciously I was displaying a homophobic appearance, and while I knew I didn't think anything bad about gay people, I knew that I was contributing to the problem of homophobia by making that sort of language seem acceptable. I taught myself not to, just as I taught myself to fix up my bad technique. It seems difficult and pointless at first, but it can be remedied, and it does feel better. I probably wouldn't have some of the great friends I do now if I had continued to use homophobic language all the time for instance, and I know I don't have to worry about accidentally offending someone when i speak now. Sorry about getting so uptight by the way, I should realise tha ti most cases that sort of thing is unconscious, and so maybe I was a bit harsh. Still, I really do think you should take notice of lwhat you are saying.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".