View post (legalization)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/27/2005 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdI've read that a big factor in the illegalization of weed goes back to Dupont putting out and fronting propaganda in early 1900's against it because compared to it's nylon and cotton products, hemp products were more economical with higher profits. I've seen some of the old 'awareness ads', and they're pretty ridiculous! It was linked to uncontrollable sexual behavior of blacks (raping white women), and other nonsense and lies.

I wouldn't doubt it... I work for DuPont... and they do some crazy stuff when it comes to politics. Like funding politicians just so they get elected to keep some of their products legal... or keeping them from being controlled by the EPA...

As for marijuana... It's "mental" effects come from it's known history of being a depressent. However, people have varied effects after smoking marijuana... some experience it as a halucinagenic some experience a "high"... some get depressed and some just get the munchies with no altered state of mind. This varied range of effects is one factor of its illegalization... Weed is also known as THE gateway drug. More than half of all people who smoke weed are lead into other more dangerous drugs like cocain and heroin. It's not illegal because it can harm you... A lethal dose of marijuana is equal to almost 6,000 joints (not fatties, just regular J's). The thought process behind the illegalization of marijuana isn't that its terribly bad for you and that if you smoke it you will die... it's to deter the use of other drugs. They control the use of other drugs by offering up consequences for the use of less lethal drugs... in all actuallity... cigarettes will kill you before weed does... and driving under the influence of alcohol is more dangerous than driving while high (obviously not when you're ripped out of your mind and can't keep your eyes open). So I can see both sides of the argument... I believe that if weed is illegal then there should be some kind of program to keep cigarette companies from putting known carcinogens and other highly toxic chemicals inside cigarettes. If weed were legalized there will just be some other drug that will come along and takes it place. I would rather it just stay the way it is. It's not like its hard to get away with it... and if just one pothead out of ten stops smoking it becuase he/she gets caught... then the judicial system has done its job. The government knows it's not going to catch everyone... and they know that some people aren't going to stop. But the purpose of consequence is to allow an oppertunity to change. Like I said, weed will never be legalized...

BTW... shrooms are legal in up to an ounce of total volume (atleast in Indiana)... any more and you're hit with an "intent to deal" charge along with the standard possesion of a controlled substance charge.