View post (Dealing With The Pressure...)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/12/2001 10:14 pm
This reminds me of the time my freinds and I tried to record a demo tape in one day just to get into a compition... I remember one of my freinds bought one of many rubbish metal magazines, and she showed me this amazing competition, where you could win all of Black sabath's gear, but you had to be a band, and you had to send a demo tape and a photo, i thought it was cool, and didn't really consider it seriously, and then one week later and the next isue came out (you need the copouns from the two issues), and my freind says, I really want what's his names drum kit, I looked at Iomie's buitiful chery red lefty Gibson SG, and i thought damn it, i want that!!!
Somehow... I dont remeber exactly how we decided that we were going to form a band that day, book some free time for the next day and the day after in the music rooms, jam the first day, and then record the second, run down to the super market, and the three of us (by this time my best freind who plays guitar decided he wanted a bass, and though joyning us was a cheaper way of doing it) would cramm into one photo booth and have our phot taken and printed in 3 minutes...
The next day came, she didn't turn up, and we didn't have a bass, but luckly we got to borrow the most butiful 5-string (yamah) bass, and one of my other friends little brother grabbed the drum sticks and off we went!... There were poeple watching (quite a few of my peers), and to be honest I didn't really care, I mean we had to come up with 3 songs for the next day!!! We only had an hour, but we got one instarmental to take shape, and the kid wasn't bad on drums!!! That night I came up with a little doodle, which i could loop for 3 and half minutes (I was desprate!!!), and decided that the third song was just going to be some noise "endless nameless" style..
The day of the recording was a night mare, we had one hour to set up run through record 3 songs... She turned up after we complained winged and whined...We came in and decided to set up quickly and guy who lent us the bass said he could set up the mics etc, and i thought "yeah he's done this before, why dont you let someone who knows what they're doing do it"... First we could only find one drum stick!!! We were desprate, so we found a broken wooded ruler as a seconds drum stick... Secondly someof the mics didn't work... We ran through the intramental without drums just to show her what we were doing, she asked us again, we did, again and again and again, and our hour was nearly up! The recording equipmnet had just stopped working... Before we knew it the time was up and we hadn't recorded a single note!! Only to find the reason we couldn't record was that the tape had the plastic bits brocken off so you couldn't record on it!!! That's how I didn't manage to get Toni Iomie's guitar...

When we're supposed to record, I was soooo nervous, I was having trouble the chord changes, and i was hitting some bum notes, my hands were shaking that much... But the fact the we came up with so much in one day (the day before the "recording") really has surprised me, and if we had a new tape we would have pulled it off...
Anyway looking back at this I think it's quite funny at how stressed we got in 48 hours just over some silly idea that came into our heads....
So i think i work well under pressure before the important day, but not on it!!!
Sorry about the length of the reply...