View post (Strat players vs. Les Paul Players)

View thread

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2005 11:17 pm
I think we're taking this question as, "Which guitar can people play better?" whereas the question was, "Which players are better - those who use strats or pauls?"

In terms of the first question that's already been said: it doesn't matter, it's all preference about what the guys like.

But if we answer the question that was asked - strat players are generally better. Wait that's not right to say - strat players have more of a legacy.

Off the top of my head these are a few players who, FOR THE MOST PART, use strats - Hendrix, Jeff Back, Clapton, Yngwie, SRV, Eric Johnson, Robert Cray, myself...

and the same thing, 'cept with Les Pauls - Zakk Wylde, Slash, Randy Rhoads (flying V too), etc....

So I think the talent scale is leaning a little to the Strat side... but then, of course, talent is completely subjective... whatever.

But I think you are all right - it doesn't matter what they play, they'll still fly, but throughout history strats have generally churned out more "legends" on the guitar than Les Pauls.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks