View post (Fret Buzz, adjusting action)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/13/2005 12:28 pm
I think along the way there has been a common misconception about the relationship of fret buzzing and action adjustments... An action adjustment in most common fret buzz cases won't single handedly fix the fret buzz... Fret buzz can be caused by many factors besides low action such as: Worn nut, low frets, high frets, neck warping/twisting/swelling, and/or a tight truss rod.... among some other less common ones. Most fret buzz problems generally have to do with something in that list of common causes and adjusting the action won't fix the problem.

With that being said... anytime your guitar develops a fret buzz don't automatically assume that you need to adjust the action. For the case of the e and A buzzing with a tune-o-matic... and you said you just got the guitar. I am curious to know if the guitar is new or used. If the gutar is used someone may have messed with the bridge and it may need to be adjusted back to factory specs. If it's new... it's probably not the bridge. Depending on the quality of the guitar depends on how well they set it up at the factory but all guitars get a setup that should make the guitar playable without buzz. I would look into it a little more than just cranking on the bridge.... But to satisfy your hankering for learning to adjust the action of a Tune-o-Matic here ya go............

Tune-o-Matics are different in that the saddles are adjustable only in back and forth (intonation adjustment)... the Tune-o-Matic itself sits on two studs.... with thumb screws for adjusting the bridge up and down. The way that you adjust this is by relieving string tension. Since you are adjusting up it's easier to do it without string tension. Next screw these thumb screws to the left (I believe... whichever way raises the bridge). Only give a couple turns on the screw otherwise you will mess up the intonation and the action will be too high.... That's basically it. Just remember though not all fret buzzs can be fixed by adjusting action.