View post (Fret Buzz, adjusting action)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2005 5:14 pm
Personally, I don't own a single guitar with a Floyd Rose... I have worked on quite a bit of them though. The word I think you were searching for is "intonation" that's when the notes throughout the fretboard aren't completly in tune. You can mess that up pretty easily along with a host of other things on a Floyd Rose. It's been awhile since I've worked with a Floyd Rose so I'm not positive about your specific Floyd. But the saddles should have screws on them. These screws can be adjusted up or down (perpendicular to the body of the guitar... pulling the string farther away from the body or closer). That is how you adjust action... This will slightly mess with the intonation, but you probably won't be able to tell unless you hook a tuner up to the guitar.

With your specific case however, it sounds like you may have a bit of fret wear. Usually when a fret buzz developes it's not the bridge that has shifted. It's usually a case of either the neck warping, twisting, settling, or just a change in atmosphere can cause the wood to temporarily dry up or absorb more moisture... I believe yours is probably fret wear. If you inspect your frets and see noticable grooves being worn into the frets I bet this is your prob. Adjusting the action may fix the problem temporarily but if left unattended the frets will just get worn down more. There's my diagnosis... If you are uncertain about anything, just take it to a tech. Someone else that knows more about Floyds can correct me if I'm wrong about the action adjustment.