View post (Ideal late night "winding down" listening:)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2005 5:24 am
Partridge Family
Abba
Aha
Ravels Bolero
Grace Jones, Slave to the Rythm

Nobody ever believes me. Thing is, the Partridge Family was all the best L.A. session musicians from the 70's, Abba is amazing pop songwriting, Aha is great synth pop songwriting and great production value, Bolero is about 15 minutes long and has every instrument of the orchestra introduced one at a time until the big finalé. And Slave is music by Trever Horn who is probably my biggest influence when it comes to doing multitrack stuff. I think the album is actually a Trever Horn demo that was half finished and as an afterthought they added some Grace Jones vocals and a whole bunch of annoying voiceovers. The music sounds great on a good system with subs.

After that it's probably stuff like Supertramp, Crime of the Century... great production by Ken Scott who's my other biggest influence and one of those hidden meaning, all about life albums.
Then maybe Saga, Rush, Hemispheres and 2112.

You have to play all the original LP's though. There's no way you can play MP3's of any of that stuff and hope to hear it the way it's supposed to sound.
After 30 minutes of listening to digital recordings, my eardrums literally start to itch like crazy.