View post (Guitar rigs-what do you use?)

View thread

PlayLikeDavid
PlayLikeDavid
05/04/2001 3:59 pm
Hi Gannong,
I was just wondering if you noticed any effect on your tone through the board. When an instrument is plugged direct through the board, you normally get a little phase/delay effect. :eek:
If you want to keep the integrity of your sound genuine, may I suggest you plug direct to your amp and mic it. This requires a pretty good microphone. Use a regular wired mic, not a wireless. Wireless will still give you some degree of delay (also applies to wireless instrument systems). ;)
Also, use an effects loop to truly bypass the effects when they are not being used. I have found that when effects are daisy chained, the sound you get when all the effects are turned off is still somewhat affected. Thus you lose the "real" tone of your instrument to a small degree. :eek:
I am a a big proponent of tone purity and my quest is never ending, dude! :cool:
There is an excellent article on Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar setup in Guitar Player magazine's April 2001 issue. It is in the toolbox section on page 23. A must read for tone connosieurs.:D
Let's have a knock down drag out rock'n'roll party in the street!
Chuck