View post (Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
04/28/2005 1:42 pm
Let me jump in here and say, yes... you are experiencing fret buzz. and it's not a stupid question. Tons of guitar players experience this and don't know why or how to fix it. Dr. S is giving you great advice on your truss rod adjustment, however... There could be a few things that caused this fret buzz. 1) your fretboard is a one piece maple fretboard and it has warped a tiny-tiny bit causing frets to raise... in turn causing the strings to buzz. 2) you have worn the 1-12 frets down so that they are not even with the 12-22 frets... causing it to buzz when you fret somewhere in the 1-12 fret range... 3) you play with your strings tuned down and haven't set your guitar up to handle it. 4) guitars are made of wood and wood shrinks and/or expands in different conditions. What may have happened is your guitar is getting "broken in" and it just needs some minor adjustments.

in cases 1 and 2, you're out of luck... haha. you'll have to take it to a shop and get the fretboard and/or frets leveled. Neither of those I assume to be the case. I believe you either have a problem with 3 or 4. In which you can fix by relieving the neck a bit. Remember though... when you mess with either the bridge or truss rod you're lengthening or shortening the width between the nut and the bridge saddles. It may be miniscule but the change can throw your intonation off. So I suggest doing some research on how to adjust intonation and how to adjust relief. Good luck bro